Poetry Slam Contest
We encourage everyone to stand up and #stopthebeautymadness. To encourage our spoken poetry community, we have created a contest with $1,000 in prize money.
Calling All Poets! We want to hear from you!
Stop The Beauty Madness (STBM) is a social change campaign created to raise awareness of every-body and every-beauty acceptance. We want to hear the voices of our poets on this matter, and so we have created a Poetry Slam Contest with prizes totaling $1,000.
The goal is to empower women and men to love themselves and find beauty in the world around them while immersed in a culture that sends every message to the contrary. Simply record your poem on video, upload it to your own youtube channel, and submit it to us. Make sure the words Stop The Beauty Madness are somewhere in your poem!
The top prize will be $500, with five $100 dollar honorable mention prizes, with certificates presented to everyone chosen for the top 20.
Be Sure To Join Our Facebook Page To See All The Videos
DETAILS FOR SUBMITTING:
Poem Requirements for Contest Eligibility
Contest Dates: 7/7/2014 – 7/29/2014
- Each participant will film a video of a reading/performance of their chosen poem and upload the video to their personal YouTube accounts within the submission dates. Once the poem is live on YouTube, the poet will email the URL/Embed links of the video to the slam liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the video has been approved, it will go live on the STBM Facebook page, ready for public viewing and promotion.
- Each poet may submit only one poem per day. Group poems will also be accepted, and individuals who participate in group poems are allowed to submit tandem individual poems.
- Everyone is eligible to participate in this contest, and diversity of poets and subject matter are strongly encouraged. We want to know what beauty means to you. The content of the poem should be geared toward body positivity/beauty acceptance/appreciation.
- The video MUST contain the words “Stop The Beauty Madness” within the body of the poem and be clearly audible in the video.
- Poems should be no shorter than 1 minute and no longer than 4 minutes.
- Poems must be of original composition by the author reading or performing the work in the video. Plagiarism is grounds for immediate dismissal from the contest.
- Poems must be submitted in the file formats acceptable for the YouTube community, and must not violate YouTube’s community standards.
- If you are under age 18, you must have your poem submitted by a parent or legal guardian.
*Poems that do not meet the requirements will not be accepted. While the Slam Liaison will attempt to get in touch with the sender to correct any technical issues that keep the poem out of consideration, all poems sent that do not meet the content requirements will not be accepted. Please make sure your poem meets the above criteria.
Legal Information: See Full Poetry Slam Contest Official Rules Here
Winners will be decided by a panel consisting of the founders of Stop The Beauty Madness and their chosen literary liaison. This 3-person panel will view/vote on the poems submitted to determine the top $500 dollar prize, as well as the five $100 dollar honorees. There will also be 14 Honorable Mention videos. The Slam Liaison will not participate in the private judging by the STBM panel. The top 20 videos will be featured on the STBM YouTube channel and broadcasted by the campaign.
To submit your poem, film and upload your video to your personal YouTube page and email the embed link/URL to email@example.com. The links to your video on your channel will be posted on the STBM Facebook page (and therefore active for public viewing/promotion) in the order they are received, and in most cases within the same day (pending technical issues). Please put your name (or the name you wish to be associated with the video) and the title of the poem in the subject area of the message. You may include a 100-200 word bio with your poem.
Please also include the following in the body of the email message:
- Full Name (and/or name you want listed with the video in the case of stage names)
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Name of your poem
- Video files must be in MPEG (MPG), AVI, MOV, or WMV format, according to YouTube.
- If a group video, or submitted by a parent or legal guardian, list full names of all people in the video.
The Fine Print
By submitting your poem to this contest, you give STBM permission to use the video of your poem on their website, YouTube channel, and their various social media hubs (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) By submitting, you also agree to allow your poem to be used in a compilation video for promotion of the Stop The Beauty Madness campaign or in any other way to promote the Stop The Beauty Madness campaign. You should also be aware that you will be emailed by the Slam Liaison for the video file of your poem if STBM chooses it to be among those uploaded to their YouTube channel (with all credit going to you).
STBM reserves the right to remove any video from the competition in the event of plagiarism.
Please note that payment for winning poems will be mailed out as a check in US dollars or sent via PayPal.
Winners will be announced on the STBM website and contacted individually for prize disbursement on or about August 4, 2014.
Any questions may be directed toward firstname.lastname@example.org.